Edestron Owns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fowler keeps his lead at Memorial

Go down

Fowler keeps his lead at Memorial Empty Fowler keeps his lead at Memorial

Post  jasonlove Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:25 pm

DUBLIN, Ohio (AP)—Rickie Fowler knew rain-softened Muirfield Village was giving up birdies, even if there was none on his card as he approached the turn Saturday with his lead dwindling.
He pounced with a shot that showed his age—21—isn’t the only thing that sets him apart.
From a distance in the ninth fairway (Mizuno MX 700 driver)that typically called for a pitching wedge—125 yards, slightly downhill to a front pin just beyond the water— Fowler opted for a punch 9-iron that would keep the ball from spinning too much and possibly going into the water.
“I wasn’t going to throw a pitching wedge and have the ball spinning very much,” Fowler said. “It was like a cut-off 9, start the ball left, try to hit it down and had a little cut in there.”
It stopped 6 feet behind the hole for his first birdie, and he was on his way.
Unfazed by six hours of rain delays or the 62 that Ricky Barnes shot— playing with Tiger Woods, no less—Fowler completed another round without a bogey and shot 3-under 69 to build a three-shot lead over Barnes and Tim Petrovic. mizuno MP-68 Irons Set
Now, he is one round away from joining the recent youth movement on the PGA Tour.
“I’m hitting the ball well,” Fowler said. “I kept it out of trouble, and I knew opportunities were coming around. It was a matter of waiting for them.” Mizuno MP-58 Irons
Fowler was at 16-under 200 and had the largest 54-hole lead at the Memorial since Woods led by six shots in 2000. Mizuno MP-630 driver

golf clubs

jasonlove

Back to top Go down